Friday, May 18, 2012

life with 2 under 2 {so far}

I haven't been the best blogger since our little man, Emmett, was born. So I thought I'd give you all some much needed updates!
Photobucket
We've been having appointments with Emmett's pediatric doctor and my lactation consultant every other day. He has been sloooowwwwlllyyyy gaining weight back. Today, he was up to 6 lbs 1 oz, which is no change from Wednesday and still eight ounces from his birth weight, but at least he's maintaining and not losing. While we were there, we did a weighed feeding, and he managed to get 20ml in about 15 minutes, which isn't as much as a full term baby would consume at the breast, but still not bad. Considering how rough things were in the beginning, with him not latching at all, we are all pretty happy with his progress. He is doing SOOOOOO much better with the help of the nipple shield. In fact, they now upped his time at the breast to 15 minutes per side before offering the bottle, which makes me happy. We are slowly but surely getting closer to our ultimate goal- exclusively breastfeeding.

Photobucket
Elliot is adjusting REALLY well to his new baby brother- much better than I expected, to be honest. He pretty much does his own thing most of the time (busy, busy toddler!) but he likes bringing me things for the baby- pacifiers, burp cloths, etc. I think he does it just to hear the enthusiastic "THANK YOU" afterwards, but either way, it's pretty cute. He also likes to poke Emmett and give him kisses. :)

Photobucket
I'm feeling GREAT! I don't even feel like I just had a baby, and always find myself doing things I'm not supposed to do {like picking up Elliot}. So far, I've already lost 21 of the 35 pounds I gained during my pregnancy, without trying. I gained 45 when I was pregnant with Elliot, and lost the weight quickly and easily, but I thought it would be harder this time around. Looks like I might have been wrong! Fingers crossed!

Photobucket

Emmett wakes up to eat about every two hours. We're cosleeping, so he never cries because I wake up right when he starts to stir. I absolutely love having a little baby to snuggle up to again every night. The pack & play was originally set up next to the bed, but it has since been taken down and put away since we never used it.

Aaron goes back to work on Monday, but his mom is flying in tomorrow to stay with us for a week, to help me out while I sort out this whole 2 under 2 thing. So far, in the few times I've been left alone with the boys, things have gone pretty smoothly. There was one giant Elliot meltdown when I was nursing Elliot and his cup needed to be refilled. He doesn't have a whole lot of patience- after all, he's used to his mama devoting 100% of her attention to him and getting whatever he wanted whenever he asked for it. He'll adjust.

Photobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. You look wonderful! Can't beleive you just had a baby. ;) Your boys are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You look great, and Emmett is adorable!

    You're bringing back some very sweet memories for me, of when my middle three were all little. (Ds11 and dd9 are 19 months apart and then ds7 is 23 months younger than dd, so we had several littles at once.) My kids are such good friends now, there are a lot of fun times in store for you and your boys. You'll do great at managing on your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess it is official! YOU ARE SUPER MOMMA!!! Not only do you have the most adorable, handsome little guys, but you look bikini ready after 2 weeks of giving birth! HOW DO U DO IT GIRL?!! Inquiring minds wanna know! lol..Im so happy that you are getting comfortable w/ 2 under 2..Im sure it can feel intimidating at times. Emmett is so tiny and precious and seriously is making me want to give my son a playmate. :o) and that the pic of sweet, sweet Elliot makes me smile ear to ear. What a great big brother he is! was it ever really doubted he wouldn't be! I think they are gonna grow up to be the best of friends. and who would've predicted he would have such beautiful blonde hair! he was such a cute little brunette but the blonde really brings out this laid, back sun baby...he is too cool!
    so happy for u all!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so cute! I had to use a nipple shield with my daughter, it saved us since she wouldn't nurse at the beginning either! Sometimes people have a hard time weaning their babies off of it, I just continue to use it since it works. We've had no issues :) That's great that you're doing what you need to do to bf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts give me hope! I've been so nervous about becoming a mom of two (my kiddos will be 22 months apart). It seems as though I'm already so low on energy, I can't imagine how I'll deal with a newborn and a toddler. If I look as good as you after this baby is born, I will be one happy Mama!! You look absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look amazing hun did you really just have a baby?!

    Sounds like Elliot is really doing a great job of big brother, Emmett is totally gorgeous and I hope he starts to gain some wieght soon huni. Love you all x x

    ReplyDelete

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
-Dr. Seuss