At his 3 o'clock feeding, after a few tries, he latched on and nursed quietly for about ten minutes. He then took about 40 cc's from the bottle. He seemed really full, and since we didn't know how much he got from me, we weren't sure how much to send through his NG tube. Tomorrow, we'll be using the breastfeeding scale before and after feeding, just in case he latches on- it would be nice to know if he's actually GETTING anything or not.
I think Elliot enjoyed his time with Grandpa. We also did more trust and relaxation exercises with the occupational therapist today. I swear, that woman is a MIRACLE worker! If it weren't for her, we never would've been able to get him to calm down enough to eat. Everyone in the hospital calls her the "baby whisperer."
Elliot is doing pretty well these days. The main things we're working on are:
1. Bottle feeding- he now gets 58 cc's per feeding and takes about 30-40 on his own. He can't go home until he can take full bottles for two days straight.
2. Weight Gain- he was doing well with this but has been losing a little lately. He now weighs 8 lbs 3 oz.
3. Breastfeeding- slowly making progress. Thank GOD for nipple shields!
4. Muscle toning- normal full term babies like to keep their hands/arms up by their face. Elliot, like many NICU babies, lets his arms hang limp at his sides. We're working on keeping his shoulders forward and arms up.
5. Trust- Since Elliot spent the first three weeks of his life flat on his back, he is scared to be in other positions.
Grandpa and Elliot.
BIGGG eyes. Not mine, his. I'm looking at the flash rather than the lens. Can you tell I'm used to being BEHIND the camera? :)
We're movin' on up the first page!