Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013 new year's resolutions

Source: oprah.com via Jess on Pinterest


#1: To find myself again
The other day, when on my facebook, I realized something. My "about me" section on facebook says this: "I'm a 23 year old army wife and a blogging, attachment parenting, baby wearing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering mama." 

Yes, I am all of those things... but what else? It seems my entire life revolves around taking care of my babies, washing diapers, doing dishes, folding laundry, cleaning, and cooking. Sure, those are all important things... but what do I do for ME? Who am I, besides a wife and mother? Until recently, I was struggling with that question.

Don't get me wrong. I love being a mom... but somewhere along the way, I seem to have lost myself. I used to have hobbies, hopes, dreams, and ambitions... and over the past couple years, all of that went out the window. There is so much more to me and my life than just the role of being a good mother.

So my NUMBER ONE priority this year is finding myself again. Regaining my sense of self outside of being a stay-at-home mom. For that reason, you won't see any resolutions like "be a better mom/wife/etc" on my list this year. This year, I'm focusing completely on improving my own personal life and making myself truly happy.



#1: Becoming a better photographer
If you asked me a few years ago, before my children were even a twinkle in my eye, what I would want to do with my life, the answer would be simple: "become a photographer."

This year, I'm focusing on trying to make that goal a reality. First, I finally sat down with my camera and some good books/articles and figured out how to use my camera manually. After a lot of practice with things like manual focusing, aperture, shutter speed, etc... I am finally comfortable shooting in Manual about 95% of the time.

Second, I made a facebook page and started taking pictures for others in order to learn more and build up a portfolio. If you haven't visited Jess Gougeon Photography on facebook, please do! :) and if you live in the central Texas area... feel free to shoot me a message!



#2: Start Running Again
I used to be an avid runner. I ran track and cross country in middle school, high school, and college. Yet, for whatever reason {bedrest while pregnant, then lack of time? lack of energy? I don't know.} I haven't gone for one single jog since finding out I was pregnant with Elliot. If you do the math, that means that after running basically every day for eight years, I just flat out stopped running altogether for the last three years.

I really miss it. Call me crazy, but for me there is no better feeling than coming to the end of a long run, finally stopping and stretching while sweat pours from every pore on your body, your lungs burn, and your heart hammers in your chest.

I want to start taking time every evening to spend 30-60 minutes on my own, going for a nice run, with my favorite music filling my ears. That sounds simply wonderful!



Other Resolutions: 
To eat less meat and processed foods, to lose the last 5 lbs of baby weight, to take time to READ again, finally put together photo books of our marriage and the boys' pictures, to blog more, to grow my hair out until it's super long, shiny, and healthy... to do a 365 photography project, to start eating dinner at the table again, to be the best wife and mother that I can be {okay, I said I wouldn't say that, but it's still important to me}.




So those are my goals. What do YOU want to do with this new year?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed you're putting your New Year's resolutions out there! I usually make a few, but keep them to myself, seeing as they're usually broken by Jan. 2. :) Plus, love the new photography site. It's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
-Dr. Seuss