Monday, October 24, 2011

doctor doctor

Today was my very first OB appointment for baby #2, and things are already a little chaotic.
Before I explain, let me tell you this:
I am 7 weeks and 3 days pregnant, and my official due date is June 10th, 2012

introducing: elliot's little brother/sister!
Our first glimpse at Elliot's little brother or sister! ♥

Now, onto the drama.
Our first OB appointment, which normally lasts only fifteen minutes or so, quickly turned into an hour and a half. Why? Well, my new OB had to go over my medical records, which takes awhile in itself, and then it came to her attention that Elliot was born with gastroschisis. Mind you, the fact that I had a birth defect baby was clearly stated on my paperwork, but apparently she skipped over that little detail. Well, because the cause of gastroschisis is unknown, there is a chance I could have another baby with a birth defect. For example, if it were caused by a hormone imbalance, that same hormone imbalance could make something else go wrong this time, too. They really don't know.
Suddenly, my seemingly "normal" pregnancy was turned over to perinatology, maternal-fetal medicine, and genetic counseling. Things I am all too familiar with.
So. 9 vials of blood, a pap smear, ultrasound, and flu shot later... I headed down to pharmacy to pick up my new prescriptions feeling pretty defeated. I guess I was just hoping for a smooth, stress-free pregnancy this time around.
I have a two hour appointment with a geneticist tomorrow to discuss which tests I will be having to screen for possible birth defects.

The good news?
Everything looks normal so far.
Let's pray for a healthy baby and pregnancy!

20 comments:

  1. Im praying for you & your family! Everything will be perfect! God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO happy for you and happy that as far as the baby goes you had a good appointment. I'm sorry about the stress though and hope that everything goes smoothly and you can have the pregnancy experience that you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It's been a while since I caught up on my blog reading. What a great surprise this is! Congrats to you and your husband! Look how big Elliot is getting. I bet he can't wait to be a big brother! :) Good luck & keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! I am sure that E's little bro or sis will be perfect. Praying for a healthy baby for you. ps. I'm due a week after you ;) It's so fun finding out that other blogger mamas with 13-15 mo olds are getting pregnant again!! YAY!! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be praying for a healthy baby!! I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will keep you in my prayers, for an uneventful pregnancy and healthy baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! That turned into a crazy appointment! Praying that your pregnancy goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeahh, I've had an appointment like that, I'm still worried even though we are in the all clear but it still makes you think, good luck.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoping you have an easy smooth ride this time around, and if they are acting from the start of pregnancy then that may help the chances ;) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you hun hopefully everything turns out alright. just remember that you are doing the most amazing thing any woman could do. you are giving Elliot a little brother of sister and Aaron another child. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will keep you in my thoughts for a healthy pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for a health and happy pregnancy! :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, how exciting! Bummer about the extra tests but hopefully they reveal nothing and you'll have a healthy pregnancy from here on out. By the way, we are due 6 days apart. :) I'm expecting my #2 and due 06/16/12.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! ♥ So happy for you guys ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this picture you posted! Prayers are with you and your baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just keep focusing on the exciting things- like choosing a name for Elliot's sibling! I can't wait to have another niece/nephew :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying your pregnancy will healthy and joyful :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't sweat it!!! Elliot turned out to be MORE than perfect! We are praying for a happy, healthy pregnancy! <3 ya

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love your blog! :) Congratulations on your new sweet baby! :) Prayers that he/she is healthy and your pregnancy is healthy and amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
-Dr. Seuss