Monday, February 7, 2011

the little things.

I have to say, I'm feeling pretty blessed these days. I have a beautiful little boy, and I have the best {albeit exhausting} job in the world as a stay at home mom. I feel so lucky to have this opportunity, since so many other people don't. I am able to soak in every moment of this little boy's life. He is already changing and growing so much!

Some things I'm learning about my son:
♥ He is a morning person. I love our mornings together.
♥ He loves to lay on his back, with his legs free from his sleepers or gowns, and kick away to music
♥ He's scared of the dark AND quiet. Probably because it was never quiet OR dark in the NICU. So we always have music or the TV on for him, and he sleeps with a dim light on in his room.
♥ He loves to look out windows and at bright lights.
♥ He HATES diaper changes, and makes sure that everyone in the house knows it. I don't blame him- in the NICU, whenever he got his diaper changed, he also got poked with needles, prodded, measured, and weighed
♥ Every night, from approximately 6-8pm, Elliot has a meltdown. I'm not exactly sure why {colic? belly ache? overtired?} but nothing I can do soothes him. I dread that time of day. All we can do is just hold him tight and reassure him that everything will be okay- and then, eventually, he calms down and snuggles up to me, ready for bed.
♥ He likes to trick me into thinking he wants to nurse by rooting like crazy and licking my shirt... but when it comes down to it, he won't latch on. Little stinker!
♥ When it comes to food, he is VERY VERY impatient
♥ He is a snuggler.

Really, no matter how tired I am, it's the little things that make it all worth it. A sweet baby smile while he's falling asleep. Cuddles. Watching him kick away in the bath. Falling asleep together. That delicious baby smell. Little coos and babbles. When he looks at me and you just know he loves his mama.

My silly man:
Photobucket

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Aww he is such a cutie! I'm glad things are going well for you. Alyson is a morning baby too, sucks because I'm not haha!

    The Sweetest Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's so cute! And don't worry, most all babies hate diaper changes. Bennett screamed bloody murder whenever I'd change his diaper, it was horrible. He kinda got over it at around 3 months. And I totally know what you mean about there being a couple of hours that he's upset and you don't know why. Us Mom's call it the "witching hour". Bennett's witching hour was always in the evening also... he would just cry and fuss. I never figured it out - but they do grow out of it!
    Hang in there, you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad he's home and you get to enjoy all of the little things. Elliot is so precious. I agree with Mandy about the "witching hour". My daughter is now 21 months old but since she was a baby, there was always that time of night where nothing could soothe her.

    Now it starts at 4pm and she gets very antsy. She also shows off her tantrum skills more often around this time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you are getting to enjoy the little things with Elliot. He is a very handsome baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep. we've got the witching hour going on here too. it's from the same time as elliot's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jackson always had an evening cranky period. It seems like a lot of babies do. His was 7-9 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we had the fussy time here.. jake's was 5-7pm. at 8 months he's pretty much over it with all of the activity we do during the day. so glad you are home and enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. he is so adorable!! :)

    ♥Samarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor guy! I hope that he overcomes his phobias soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SOmeone mentioned witching hour above. That's what the 6-8pm thing is. Every baby goes through it - It's not colic. It's just this unexplanable thing that happens. It does go away around 3 months old luckily. If you do not already have it, do yourself the BIGGEST favor in the world (and I'm sure other moms will agree) - Buy yourself "The happiest baby on the Block" DVD. It is about 45 minutes long - it is worth it's weight in gold. It teaches you how to soothe your baby when they are in consolable (such as during witching hour) .... You can order it on amazon and have it tomorrow LOL - it does work. It's just a method of swaddling & soothing the baby - it does work - many many moms swear by it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been out of town for almost 2 weeks and just found out now that you were already able to take your little man home, congratulations! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. whats going on isnt necsisarrily unexplainable, thing is, if you hold baby a lot "which most families do" and play, cuddle and hang with him a bunch, then they apparently can get VERY stimulated. so after a long day all that energy has to be released.
    When bryce does this, i find a nice rocking chair, or pat on the back while he lays on my(or my wife's) chest usually helps after 15 mins or so. Hope this helped :)

    ReplyDelete

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
-Dr. Seuss