This will be Elliot's second Christmas, but our family's first Christmas together in our own home. Last year, Elliot was in the NICU and Aaron and I were staying in the Ronald McDonald house. Needless to say, it was an extremely stressful and emotional time. My favorite holiday was just not the same. We did, however, receive the best Christmas gift you could ever ask for: we were able to hold our son for the very first time.
This year, I want our Christmas to be really special. I haven't really made up my mind about how we are going to do things, but I do know this: I want to create some lasting Christmas traditions that (I hope) Elliot will always remember. I want my son to love this holiday as much as I do.
What Christmas traditions (or memories) do you treasure the most?
I'm making a list of things to do this holiday season. Help me add to it?
My list so far:
1. bake and decorate sugar cookies
2. cook a big Christmas morning breakfast
3. take Elliot to the mall to get his first pictures with Santa Clause
4. have a festive family photo shoot
5. send out Christmas cards
6. go to Christmas Eve mass
7. donate food to a local shelter
edited 11/3 to add some reader suggestions/ideas:
8. give Elliot a different ornament each year, so that when he gets married, he'll already have a whole box to decorate his tree.
9. cut down our own Christmas tree