Saturday, April 24, 2010

What I've learned so far.

"This is our first month actively TTC. As far as I can tell, DH and I timed our BD perfectly for O. I'm currently on CD26 and 9DPO. KMFX for a BFP!!"
Confused? When I first began exploring the world of trying to conceive online, I was dumbfounded by all of the acronyms and abbreviations. It was like they were speaking a secret foreign language! I was nervous to even ask what they meant, for fear of looking like a complete idiot. To save you from that fate (and don't worry, I will NOT be speaking like this in this blog... I personally don't like abbreviations) here is that super secret language, explained :)

TTC: Trying to conceive
DH/DBF/DF/SO: Husband, Boyfriend, Fiancee, Significant Other
BD: Baby dance, aka sex
CD: Cycle day
DPO: Days past ovulation
O: Ovulation
CM: Cervical mucus
BFP: Big fat positive (pregnancy test)
BFN: Big fat negative (pregnancy test)
MC: Miscarriage
KMFX: Keeping my fingers crossed
Rainbow baby: Pregnancy after a baby/pregnancy loss

And here are some wonderful resources for those trying to conceive (or thinking about it):
Baby Center
American Pregnancy Association
Fertility Friend
What to Expect Before You're Expecting

What else have I learned? Trying to get pregnant is NOT as easy as most would have us believe. If you were one of those starry-eyed little girls who covered her notebooks with doodles of their dream husband and five (or eight, or ten...) stick figure babies, you're not alone. As young girls, we are led to believe that someday, our prince will come, quickly followed by a dream wedding and tons of babies. As we all know, this is not the case. When that mysterious dream man finally makes his grand appearance (and who knows how “perfect” he’ll really be), and when you both decide to begin your family- you may be in for a world of disappointment. I had no idea there was so much to do. I, like most people, thought that hey, we were both young and healthy, so making a baby should be a piece of cake, right? Wrong. Most young couples our age are in for several months of actively trying (typically less than six but often up to twelve). And if you face fertility problems, you can expect to try harder and longer.
So, Aaron and I are doing all that we can right now, while still trying to keep our sanity. Trying to conceive is VERY stressful. Although we desperately want a baby, we won’t be totally crushed if it doesn’t happen this (or next) month. For now, we’re just settling in for the ride. And someday, when we do end up conceiving, we will be that much more thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
-Dr. Seuss