Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day Eight: SURGERY!

Today was an extremely long, emotional day. We were at the hospital for almost eight hours. Elliot went back for surgery at about 12:30pm, and I cried like a baby as I watched them wheel him away. It is so hard to say goodbye to your brand new, five pound baby boy before he leaves for surgery. His surgery lasted until about 3:00pm. Once they had him all settled back into his isolette, we were allowed to see him. To my surprise he was AWAKE and just laying there helplessly with his mouth hanging open, with his eyes barely open. I wasn't prepared to see him like that. So of course, I started crying again.
While he was still sleepy/drugged, they went ahead and gave him a new PICC line (30 centimeters long!) in his leg because the one in his head didn't go far enough into his chest. This means he should be able to wear his hats soon! And that also means he has less cords to pull on, which is good.
All is well now- he is still on the ventilator, morphine, and tylenol... but they are hoping to extubate him tomorrow. He's sleeping peacefully now which makes me happy.

Some Pre-Surgery pictures (because the post-op ones still make me cringe):

Photobucket
Daddy holding Elliot before he was prepped for surgery.

Photobucket
Elliot swaddled for the FIRST TIME EVER- he loved it!

Photobucket
Moving into the transport isolette.

Photobucket
Doing what he does best- yanking at his tubes.

Photobucket
Just looking around at his new surroundings.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Right before they wheeled him away.

9 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie, I wish I could hug you right now and wipe away your tears. Just reading your words pulls at my heart strings. I am thinking of that sweet little boy as he recovers and of you and your husband as well.

    Sabina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm giving you lots of virtual hugs. The first pic of Elliot and his daddy are so, so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you all

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a day! I pray that Elliot recovers quickly from his surgery and that this trying time is over soon. I can't believe how alert he is in his pre-op photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are your dh are so strong, Elliot is such a lucky baby. I am just so thankful that he'll be okay, and can't wait for the day I read that you guys are taking him home. So glad Elliot is doing well this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is seriously the sweet little guy I've ever seen!! Praying for his recovery and that God will give you and your husband peace and comfort.

    with love,
    Samarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is such a trooper. I can't wait for you guys to be take him home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh poor baby. This has to be so hard for you. You're so so so strong. You've been in my thoughts and prayers!!! Sending hugs your way for you and baby Elliot. XOXOXO
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jess, I am so glad the surgery went well and Elliot is now recovering. I know is hard seeing your little one connected to all those tubes and wires, but soon he will be home and you will be able to enjoy him every day and night. I will pray for a fast and full recovery. Big hugs to the three of you.

    ReplyDelete

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
-Dr. Seuss