Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day Fourteen: "long term?"

Elliot graduated into an open-air crib today, complete with a little aquarium soother. He loves to listen to the music and watch the lights. This is great- it means he can control his own body temperature- but I distinctly remember being told during my NICU tour that the open-air cribs with the toys were reserved for the babies who were in the NICU for a long time.
Our nurse told us today that Elliot is now a "long-term patient." He just isn't progressing as quickly as they thought he would and the other gastroschisis babies who are half his size are doing better than he is at this point. Nothing much has changed- but that's the problem. We're not really making any progress! They were really making me think that we would be able to go home as a family BEFORE Aaron has to go back to Korea... but now I'm not so sure.
There was a lot of blood being sucked out of his tummy into his repogle tube today. They changed his tube (and repositioned it a million times) and decided to put him on zantac. Hopefully that will help soothe and protect his little tummy.
We put a onesie on him today and swaddled him in his own blanket for the first time. The onesie is size newborn and too big- but it makes it even cuter! He's so scrawny.
Come on, Elliot! We need you to POOP so we can start feeding you and you can start on the road to coming home!

Photobucket
Elliot's first onesie.

Photobucket
Nom nom nom.

Photobucket
Mom, would you get that camera out of my face already?

Photobucket
Elliot's new big boy bed.

Photobucket
Zonked.

You guys rock! We're closing in on #31!
Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

15 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear he might need to stay there longer! But, the Doctors will take good care of him! And I hope he starts progressing a little faster!!
    He looks adorable in his onsie! Such a cutie pie! I'll keep him in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's so adorable and looks so handsome in his striped onesie! I'm so sorry that he isn't progressing as quickly as hoped. But with the great care and lots of love he's receving, hopefully things will pick up soon. He is in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just start following your blog. Little Elliot is in my prayers. What a brave little guy, and mama! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so beautiful. I will be praying that he does some growing and getting better.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear he may be staying longer! :( He is in my prayers so are you and your familY!!

    i do want to add that he is a cutie!! I just want to come through the computer and give him a big hug :)

    Hang in there mama!!

    the-chunkymonkey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess, don't get discouraged by Elliot slow progress, once he gets in the right track I am sure he will do awesome and be home in no time. Tobias was transferred to a big crib and also a private room that they said was for long term babies and he was out of the NICU in three weeks. The feeding process was very frustrating, and 5 days before Tobias was discharged the nurses told me he will most likely be in the NICU for two more weeks. Try to take just one day at a time. But here is for Elliot to start pooping!!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awm he is so adorable! I hope you will be able to take him home before your husband goes back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks so cute in his onesie. I'm sorry about the lack of progress. I'm still praying and I know that God will be faithful to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last picture just makes me melt. More hugs are being sent your way. The biggest thing I learned with having my daughter in the NICU was that some days the doctors would say she would need to be there longer. Then other days it looked like she would be coming home soon.

    A few days after that, they would say she has to be there a lot longer. Basically it came down to them just not knowing, of course they would never say that though.

    The day before she came home, I had one of my lowest days and was at my emotional breaking point b/c she wasn't home.

    At that point, I felt like she would never be able to come home. That afternoon my husband called to tell me that he heard from the hospital and she was finally coming home the next day. And she did! It's such a roller coaster ride. I'll leave you with this message to give to Elliot: Poop, little man, poop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm really praying he perks up & you guys can go home sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, he's the cutest little guy. I've told my husbands dad (he's a pastor) to send out a prayer request for you guys. We've been thinking about you every day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg he is so cute! I was following your blog a while ago but I deleted my account all together and made a new one (so you can take down the Little Sugar Monster button if you like lol).

    I just about cried going through the posts I missed (which was quite a lot). You must be one strong momma and I hope you're all doing good!

    The Sweetest Life

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are soo strong! He is soo itty bitty. I pray and think about you guys daily!! I hope he gets better soon and come home. What a little fighter. Love Love Love him!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
-Dr. Seuss