Sunday, November 28, 2010

What I've been up to

Okie dokie folks: Now that I'm finished with the project, I can {finally} show you what I've been up to! In case you didn't guess from yesterday's post- I was busy making letters that spell Elliot's name to hang on the wall above his crib. I've been wanting to do this for awhile- but I couldn't make up my mind on how to do it. Originally, I thought I was going to buy wooden letters and paint them, but then I stumbled upon this idea, and fell in love. Since you can pick out your own scrapbook papers, the possibilities are endless!

Materials:
♥ "Chip Decor" letters from the Paper Studio- these are basically made out of SUPER thick heavy duty cardboard.
♥ Scrapbook paper in your choice of colors, patterns, and/or textures
♥ Elmer's Memory Book Glue Pen
♥ Mod Podge waterbase sealer, glue, and finish
♥ Pencil, scissors, and paintbrush

Instructions:
1. Trace letters {carefully!} onto scrapbooking paper
2. Cut them out
3. Cover each letter with an even layer of memory book glue
4. Place cut paper onto letters, carefully sliding it into position so that all edges line up. Once in place, rub/smooth paper firmly into place using your thumb and a paper towel. {This was ANNOYING! For some reason, no matter how carefully I traced, the edges just didn't seem to line up quite right.}
5. Let dry 30 minutes
6. Brush a thin, even layer of Mod Podge onto each papered letter
7. Let dry
8. Hang & enjoy! :)

Photobucket
Paintbrushes- the pesky material that I completely forgot about!

Photobucket
The papers that I chose- it's hard to actually see the detail here, but none of these are plain/solid. The brown actually has polka dots and the blue has an interesting faded yellow texture. And the orange looks neon, but it's not.

crafty 2
The letters- these are bigger than a lot of other ones I found in other stores

Photobucket


Photobucket
The Mod Podge will be white and streaky- don't panic. It WILL dry clear.

Photobucket
Finished product :) I have yet to decide how I'm hanging them- so they're not on the wall yet. But I'll get them up there soon and get you guys a picture of the whole shebang- crib, bedding, AND his name
Happy Crafting!

Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

16 comments:

  1. Very cute! I think I am going to do this due my kiddos room. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the letters look so great! I love this idea...might have to do it for Aydan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I know Elliot will love all of the colors and shapes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look fantastic you crafty mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooove it! I'm going to steal the idea this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, ladies!
    Those of you who are going to try it- make sure you post the finished product! I'd love to see :) There are just SO MANY papers that you could choose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, those look awesome! i love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I'm definitely going to do this

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look SO good!!! I can't wait to see his nursery! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did an awesome job! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look so designer .. your really talented, I'm lazy I just brought the letters on my Joshy wall lol

    ReplyDelete

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
-Dr. Seuss